Let’s All Do Our Part to Prevent Fraud!
We all must be on guard to protect our personal information from fraud. Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information without your permission to commit fraud or other crimes. Your personal information can be stolen several different ways including scams posing as a legitimate business person, financial institution or government official. Fraudsters attempt to obtain your personal information in many ways including posing as your financial institution in an email, text message or other electronic forms.
Please remember, Texas Bay Credit Union employees will not ask you for personal information in an email or text message (SMS) and will not initiate a call to you on the phone requesting personal information (member number, account numbers, credit card number, or debit card number, etc.) without you contacting us first for service. If you are not sure or if you did not initiate the call, please call us back directly or call the number listed on the back of your debit or credit cards.
- TIP 1: Don’t Give up Personal, Company, or Confidential Information
- Texas Bay will never ask for personal credentials via phone, text, or email.
- TIP 2: Beware of Urgent or Threatening Language in the Subject Line
- Invoking a sense of urgency or fear is a common phishing tactic. Beware of subject lines that claim your “account has been suspended” or ask you to action an “urgent payment request.”
- TIP 3: Don’t Believe Everything You See
- Phishers are extremely good at what they do. Many malicious emails include convincing brand logos, language, and a seemingly valid email address. Be skeptical when it comes to your email messages—if it looks even remotely suspicious, do not open it.
How does Texas Bay handle your personal information? Federal law gives consumers the right to limit some but not all sharing. Federal law also requires us to tell you how we collect information.
You can learn why, what, and how Texas Bay Credit Union handles your personal information by by visiting our Legal page.
As a cardholder, you can take steps to protect yourself from card fraud, such as safeguarding your personal identity information. Texas Bay also helps you to be vigilant against fraud with systems and tools available to you.
Mastercard 3-D Secure is an authenticated payment system to improve online transaction security by recreating the high level of security of a physical payment environment by requesting further payment authentication. The goal is to provide a safe and secure online payment experience across Visa, MC, and AMEX systems using a password that is validated by the card issuer and further checked by all other parties involved in the transaction.
Chip Cards enhance security to protect from fraud on both credit and debit cards. All Texas Bay cards include chip technology for your protection. A microchip embedded in the card adds a layer of protection against fraud for purchases made at the point of sale. Information programmed into the chip is personalized for your account and each transaction generates a unique code, adding an extra safeguard against unauthorized use and counterfeiting.
Card Control is a FREE mobile app that keeps tab on your Texas Bay credit and debit cards 24/7, directly from your Texas Bay Mobile Banking App. Card Control is a great tool for controlling both personal and business spending on your Texas Bay cards. Review balances and transactions similar to online banking but with additional features. Control spending by setting limits or merchant types. Prevent fraud with alerts or turning your card off if you noticed it is missing.
Text Fraud Alerts is a FREE service that helps protect you by immediately alerting you of potential fraud on your Texas Bay Mastercard® Debit Card through real-time engagement.
Are you leaving the country? Let us know. Due to significant fraud originating from foreign countries, Texas Bay Credit Union protects cardholders by limiting transactions outside the U.S.A. If you plan to use your Texas Bay Platinum Rewards Credit Card or your Texas Bay Debit Card while traveling or purchasing merchandise from foreign countries, please contact Texas Bay Credit Union in advance.
There are two ways to contact us about your plans before you leave the country.
1. Login to your Online Banking or Mobile Banking App and select Profile > Secure Form > Add Travel Plan, then complete the form with your travel information and click "Submit"
2. Call us at (713) 999-4152 during business hours.
Please provide the following information when you call:
- Credit Card number that you will be using when traveling
- Contact phone number
- Dates of travel and destination(s)
Not contacting Texas Bay before conducting transactions with your credit or debit card outside of the U.S.A. may result in a temporary block. We want to be sure you are covered during your travels.